Our Mission

Our mission is to make sure property is fairly and equally assessed. We work hard to make sure no one property owner shoulders more than their fair share of the county-wide valuation.

Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon Sign up for our Email Newsletter
For Email Newsletters you can trust

Newsletter Archives


Welcome to the Douglas County Assessor website!

Roger F Morrissey

This site is designed to provide you with a useful resource for practical information about property values and the assessment process. Comparable sales data and maps are easily accessible. Here you can also find answers to commonly asked questions about property assessments. There are a number of programs and services the Douglas County Assessor administers, so please take time to visit the various web pages for more information. Although Douglas County has the largest number of properties in the State of Nebraska with more than 213,000 parcels, each property owner matters and deserves the best possible service by phone, at our office and over the Internet. Just click on the Feedback link under Contact Us.

News From the Assessor's Office

How to change your mailing address

The mailing address on your property record will determine where your valuation notices and tax statements are sent. The Assessor's Office is now responsible for mailing address changes. To request such a change, call (402) 444-7060 and choose the prompt for real estate records, or email us here. If you email a request for an address change, include:

  • The name that is currently on the property record
  • The parcel number
  • The current mailing address
  • The new mailing address
  • Your phone number

Flood Information

Information regarding Real Property Valuations and Damage Due to Natural Disasters has been posted on the State of Nebraska Property Assessment Division's website under What's New. Click Here.

About the Assessor

Douglas County residents elected Roger Morrissey as their new County Assessor in November of 1998. Although 1999 was his first year in elective office, Roger has extensive real estate and appraisal experience in both the private and public sectors.

From 1980 to 1983, he served as the Housing Manager for the City of Omaha Planning Department, where he was responsible for directing and supervising the 25 persons in the City's housing rehabilitation, code enforcement and condemnation sections. Roger then moved to the private sector, first as a partner at Ambassador Real Estate, a company with 20 agents. From 1986 to 1993 he operated his own independent fee appraisal company, continuing as a real estate appraiser for Valuation Information Technology from 1994 until his election in 1998.

During his career as a professional real estate appraiser, Roger has served his profession and the public in a variety of capacities. He was a referee for the Douglas County Board of Equalization in 1984, 1985, and 1988. He has taught real estate appraisal courses for the Institute of Financial Education, the Appraisal Institute, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, and for continuing education seminars. He was appointed by the Governor to serve on the Nebraska Real Estate Appraiser Board from 1992 to 1997, elected as chairman in 1994.

Roger Morrissey is a past chairman of the Appraiser Task Force for the Omaha Area Board of Realtors, and has served on the state boards of directors for both the Society of Real Estate Appraisers and the American Institute of Real Estate Appraisers.

A 1967 graduate of Creighton University, Roger served in the U.S. Army from 1967 to 1969. As a platoon commander in Vietnam, First Lieutenant Morrissey was awarded the Bronze Star and Air Medal. Active in several civic, religious, and charitable organizations, Roger and his wife have four children.

To Our Customers

Welcome to the new and improved Douglas County Assessor's Website! We have made some changes to our site to better serve you. Here are a few of the improvements we have made:

  • Valuation lookup is more user friendly than ever. See the new page by clicking the valuation lookup photo, or by clicking here.  
  • Our subdivision sales search (sometimes called "Comparables") will now map the results for you. To use this feature, click subdivision sales search or comparables, then click "View Interactive GIS Map".  
  • Property records have been upgraded. Each record now includes a Google map, and the sales information has been arranged to be more user friendly.
  • Our GIS mapping will allow you to view your results in Google and Bing maps for greater flexibility. See it here by clicking advanced map and using the Bird's eye viewer icon at the top of the map. 

For help using our valuation lookup, simply go to the valuation lookup page and click help.  
If you have any suggestions, questions, or concerns about the website, please let us know. We appreciate your feedback!

Press Releases

The Assessor's Office Now Offers Online Filing of Your Business Personal Property Return

Foreclosure Help

Lately, there have been a number of articles in newspapers and magazines about the rising rate of home mortgage foreclosures throughout the United States. Although Douglas County has fewer foreclosures than many other counties, for those who are having trouble keeping up with their mortgages, there are steps a homeowner can take to avoid foreclosure.

First, if you get behind on your mortgage payments, contact your lender. Let them know that it is not your intention to abandon the home. Depending on your lender and type of mortgage, there may be loss mitigation programs available to you that could involve anything from partial payments to a loan that would enable you to bring your mortgage current. In order to learn about whether such programs are available for your situation, you need to contact your lender.

Second, stay in your home. Hopefully, being behind on your mortgage is a temporary situation that you can work out with your lender. But even if that is not the case, vacant and abandoned houses are targets for theft and vandalism–events that will diminish the desirability and value of the home. If, for whatever reason, you do need to leave your home, take any pets with you. In the event that no one occupies the home for weeks or months, your pets will be at risk without anyone to care for them.

Finally, there are agencies that you can call for assistance. The United Way has a 2-1-1 number that can direct you to a variety of services. For people having trouble keeping up with their mortgages, the United Way provides the names and numbers of two entities: Family Housing Advisory Services, (402)934-7921 and Consumer Credit Counseling, (402)333-2227.